I have been running with the new Inov-8 Trailfly Ultra G 280 trail shoes for the last month. Being a keen outdoor enthusiast I love a bit of technical kit. So, I was chuffed when I was asked to check out these new trail shoes. After all, you can never have enough trail shoes!
I am not a competitive runner, just someone who likes to get out and about several times a week running varied distances. My usual running style is off-road single-track hill runs with a distance between 4-6 miles. Salomon are my go-to brand, specifically the Speedcross range. I was incredibly sceptical as it’s been years since I’ve worn a different trail shoes brand.
Having narrow feet, I often struggle with a boat like shoe being too big and general rubbing on the heel. However, with this trainer I’ve not had any foot rub at all. I was surprised as the shoe roomy with a real light weight air feel often associated with brands like Skechers.
Now a bit of the geeky stuff. The Inov-8 Trailfly Ultra G 280 trail shoe has a new midsole that is nitrogen-infused which gives you a softer and controlled footstep when running on hard rocky/stoney surfaces. I have to say that after trying my local hills I did find that the G 280 lived up to the sales pitch. The shoe being nice and light with its new nitrogen-infused midsole feels like a road shoe, but performed as well as any trail shoe.
Whilst on my local hill trails the Graphene-enhanced rubber sole was exceptional at absorbing the rocky surfaces that the forest trail presented as well as the hard soil terrain. A bit of sticky gloopy mud was also in the mix and I felt that I had control over my running stride. Inov8 does indeed seem to have made a good trail shoe. It’s only been four weeks, so time will tell how the shoe will hold up whilst clocking up the miles. However, first impressions are good.
A few key points to take on board. The sizing of the shoe is small (go half or 1 size up) I’m normally a 10/10.5 but had an 11. I found that the overall size fitted well. The toe box was a little too wide when wearing a thinner sock but for an endurance perfect. I like that it did offer more room for expansion especially when the hotter days came along. I also like to wear thicker socks in colder weather, so this will be suitable, I find I cannot do this with my Salomon’s.
- New nitrogen-infused FLYSPEED midsole foam cushioning delivers our softest-ever ride, combined with incredible bounce and energy return. Ultralight and durable, the foam is our first to feature the use of nitrogen gas, reducing the amount of energy and chemicals used in the manufacturing processes.
- FLYSPEED foam gives back 65%-68% of the energy put in. A standard foam midsole gives back 45%-48%.
- Graphene-enhanced rubber delivers the world’s toughest grip – insane sticky traction AND increased durability, no compromise. 50% stronger, 50% more elastic, 50% harder wearing, scientifically proven.
- A breathable, stretchy knit material upper, combined with a padded tongue, provide enhanced comfort without compromising on durability.
- The fit has been designed to support and adjust to the natural swelling of the foot when running long distances.
I do feel a traitor to my muddy Speedcross buddies, but I really like these new Inov-8 trainers. They have changed my mind set giving me the confidence to purchase Inov-8 again in the future.
Shop the Inov-8 Trailfly G 280 trainers on the Inov-8 website.